The Family - Summer, 2023

The Family - Summer, 2023
Love these people!

Monday, November 6, 2023

First Low Vision Poem - January, 2023

 New Eyes


Dwindling vision.

There’s never enough light.

Colors fade,

They used to be so brilliant.


Lacking contrast is my enemy,

Missing steps, ruts and curbs.

They threaten my confidence,

Fear knocks at the door.


No more driving

Independence wanes.

How will I live?

Where can I go?


Friends take on a different light.

I survive on their generosity

Spontaneity is rare

Rides take plans, walking takes time.


Grief comes in waves

With change, both good and bad.

Numbness and introspection

Even God seems distant.


Weeks turn into months,

Months into years.

How then, shall I live?

Depressed and disconnected?


Hell no! 

This is not the end of me!

THIS is a new beginning,

A new way to experience life.


I can do hard things.

I can learn new ways.

I can walk A LOT of sidewalk,

And I can ask for help.


Independence had its day.

Dependence came for a visit.

But I still have much to offer,

And still so much to learn.


Inter-dependence.

I NEED you.

And you need me too,

I believe it to my core.


Two is better than one

I once read in the Bible.

If one falls 

The other can help them up.


I still miss driving…

I miss running to the store.

But something transpired,

God did a thing.


There is new life, 

New eyes to see a different world.

With more vulnerability, more connection, 

More beauty…


Only to be seen with eyes closed.


No comments:

Post a Comment