The Family - Summer, 2023

The Family - Summer, 2023
Love these people!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Still Settling..

Well we almost have all of our furniture put together! We only have one more dining room chair to go. The hutch was a big project, but it's turned out beautiful and holds a lot of kitchen stuff that we didn't have space for. We're so impressed with Ikea furniture! It's time-consuming but fairly simple to assemble things.
I feel like we've been on this huge spending spree, but it was the plan and we're about done - just a few more things to get totally settled.
The produce we bought the other day wasn't too bad. Actually the corn was delicious, but the tomatoes and cukes left a bit to be desired. We'll have to check out some other sources. We did go to Whole Foods today for the first time. It was impressive as well!
I'm typing this on my new MacBook that we bought for me for school. I'm not used to using just the pad without a mouse...grrrrr.. Kim got an IPod with rebate $, so he's busy figuring that out.
I've been fighting a headache the last couple of days and not feeling really hot. I can feel the knot in my neck that it's emanating from. Ugh. It's getting really old.
I think I'm kind of depressed, too. The newness is wearing off and there's just small junk to unpack and I don't have a lot of ambition to do it. I'm kinda cranky or ambivalent with Kim, and I just want to go have coffee with a girlfriend... Anybody interested???
Our landlord invited us to a Greek Food Festival this weekend that his church is hosting so we went last night. I wasn't very adventurous food-wise, but Kim had some spinach/cheese stuff in philo (filo?) pastry, some pasta stuff, and a seasoned rice mixture wrapped in grape leaves that was really tasty.
We watched Greek dancers - they were really cool - and then had a baklava sundae. Highly recommended! Unfortunately we missed seeing our landlord's kids dance.
What I liked best was the "intergenerational-ness" of the evening. Old and young alike were helping with the serving and table clearing. The live Greek band had older and middle-aged men playing and singing. The dance group were all twenty-somethings which I thought was amazing, and then when they opened up the dancing to everyone a bunch of elementary-aged kids went out and started dancing (boys and girls!) and they were joined by some older and some middle-aged folks. It was neat to be in the midst of their community.
We plan on going to Doug & Tanya Marshall's church tomorrow, Beulah Presbyterian.
We've made reservations at "The Pines" for next weekend in New York state. We'll drive north 90 miles to Erie, PA, and then drive east another 30 minutes to The Pines. We'll check out an island that's a nature park in Erie, some vineyards around North East, PA (yep, that's the name of the town), and THEN we're going 60 miles east to Niagara Falls! Woohoo! I'm really excited about that! I went right after I graduated from high school, but Kim's never been there. It's breath-taking. Can't wait.
Oh, our first real mail we received on Thursday was from PC(USA) advising me that I've been awarded a $4000 Presbyterian Study Grant! Yeah, God!! How He's been providing is so amazing...
Well, that's it for now. Praying that God heals my head, and fills my heart that it won't ache so much for the people I miss and love..
~Sally

2 comments:

  1. sounds cool! Hope things keep getting better, don't let depression take you down..put your boxing gloves on and beat the crap out of it!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Preacher Lady,
    Would love to have coffee with you...can we do this virtually while blogging??? Go gently with yourself in all of this transition stuff, you have had to say many goodbyes and experience many new things...give yourself some grace in the roller coaster of feelings you must be experiencing! Keep blogging and journaling..helps with alot of issue dumping! Miss you and Praying for you and Kimbo!

    ReplyDelete