The Family - Summer, 2023

The Family - Summer, 2023
Love these people!

Friday, June 5, 2015

Caught Off Guard

  Today has been up and down - in other words, normal.  The day started with Kim calling and telling me that the ICU doc told him he'd be in the ICU for the weekend.  Booo.  I know it was discouraging for Kim even more.  Then I had a call from Sarah and she said that a friend of ours in Grand Junction has offered to buy her a plane ticket here so she can come be with her dad and me.  What a huge blessing!  So the ticket is bought and she'll be here tomorrow night around 7.  I can't even begin to say what a big deal that is.  Friends and church folks are absolutely wonderful, but there's nothing like your own family to be with you in times like this.  I am so very very grateful.
  I had to do some business this morning… balance the checkbook, see where the money is at, pay some bills, get a hold on things.  Thankfully we're good financially and have no worries at this point.  (We haven't seen his hospital bill yet…ha ha!!)
  I finally got everything done and went to Qdoba to pick us up some lunch.  I thought it might be nice to have a little "taste of home" for Kim.  He loves the Mexican gumbo so I got him a small bowl.
  As I walked into the main floor of the hospital something caught me by surprise….music.  It really caught me off guard.  I got a lump in my throat and my eyes welled up.  I looked over and there were three teenage girls on a fiddle, mandolin, and string bass playing some awesome bluegrassy fun music.  I gave a grin through my tears, wanting to stay and listen more but knowing that Kim had been waiting all morning, I went to the elevators.  All I could think was - these girls have no idea how much of an impact they make, providing that little window of normal in this not-so-normal place.
  It makes me think now how I have underestimated the value of my own music before, and then had people tell me how wonderful it was for me to bring my guitar with me on a visit to their home or the hospital/care center.  Nothing over the top, just a couple sweet songs about Jesus.  These little things that God gives us to bring others joy…  We so often forget them or think that there are only "certain" places that are the appropriate places for us to offer them.  I'm learning otherwise.  We get all caught up in what people might think about us (like we're being prideful or something), when in actuality the majority of folks find blessing in it.
  I will be encouraging folks even more now to use whatever you've been given to bring joy and healing and a smile to others.  It might not be something like music.  It might be handyman skills that you can use to fix some little thing that's been bugging someone.  It might be cleaning or organizing gifts that you can use to spruce up someone's house or organize a pantry or linen/bathroom closet.  (I did that once for someone - after they got over the pride thing about having a dirty house - and they were thrilled.)  Maybe it's taking care of a beloved pet, watering plants or yard, reading to someone, getting and going through their mail and/or helping with their bills..  Or like my friend Nada, providing a place of refuge and a glass of wine with some laughter to forget the craziness of what's going on.  The list is endless, but you get the idea.
  The folks in the ICU now tell us that a regular room is in the process of being lined up and cleaned for Kim, and he should hopefully be moving into it sometime this afternoon.  Thank you, Jesus.
  He knows our needs way before we do and provides at exactly the right time.  I am no longer surprised by His provision in our life, simply grateful and at peace.
  I haven't been worried or anxious during this time here at the hospital.  The seriousness of the chest tube certainly caught me off guard, but I really do trust that God has everything in hand - even if it seems things are going badly.  I trust He will use this time - I know that He already has in so many ways - to grow both of us, closer to Him and closer to each other.  I pray that in sharing the journey it can open others' eyes to the awesome love, strength, and provision that God promises and offers each of us.
  We're not done yet, but the light is bright at the end of the tunnel.  So I'll keep pointing to it for Kim until he can see it on his own as brightly as I can.  The grace and peace of Jesus are mine.

Thanks be to God.

~Sally







No comments:

Post a Comment