The Family - Summer, 2023

The Family - Summer, 2023
Love these people!

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Hospital Layover - part 2

  After that last blog I just had to update…
  I didn't fall asleep until around 4am this morning.  I took three chairs in the waiting room, the middle one didn't have arms, and put them in a line so I could lay down.  I woke up around 7:45 hearing the same woman I went to sleep hearing…  Her husband had been brought in last night after having a massive stroke.  She had been on the phone most of the night.
  She apologized for waking me if she did, and asked if it was my husband in the ICU.  I told her yes and just a little of our situation.  She said yes, hers was too and told me the story of calling her husband during a break at bingo and getting no answer, calling a sister-in-law who went over and found her husband Terry on the floor.  They're telling the woman, Pat, that if her husband survives it will be years of recovery, if there is much to be had.
  I sat there thinking, this is who I was praying for last night…the one who doesn't have anyone.  She has three grown kids who are at jobs that they can't leave unless they want to lose them.  So I asked if I could pray for her.
  She came over and I told her I was a pastor and she said her husband is a pastor as well.  So through tears I prayed for Pat and her husband Terry as we held hands, praying very honestly how scary it is to pray prayers that we don't know will be answered with a "yes" or not…but we still come to God knowing that we won't be left to ourselves - even if no other human is there.
  O God, continue to comfort and guide Pat as she faces some very difficult days, with or without her dear husband.  Thank You that I have been blessed with even one more day with my own dear Kim, each day a new gift from You.

Use well this day you've been given.

~Sally




No comments:

Post a Comment