The Family - Summer, 2023

The Family - Summer, 2023
Love these people!

Monday, July 13, 2009

Reality starting to sink in...

Ok, so......the reality of moving is starting to sink in. Last Thursday I had to say goodbye to the first person, Barb, who I've worked with on and off at the church since 1992! I was nervous! But it was so sweet because over the years we have had our times of conflict, disagreement, and just being in totally different places - theologically and otherwise.
But the beautiful thing is that God was also a part of our relationship, and He did a huge work in both of us over the years. So it was pretty cool to be able to really hug her and love her and acknowledge those not-so-fun times and see how God took them and grew us both.
Much of our furniture is gone. We have no dining room table or chairs, our end tables and coffee tables as well as my gramma's antique desk and shelf and Kim's mom's china hutch are all gone. The china still sits on the dining room floor waiting to be packed.
It's very surreal. I keep trying to imagine where we'll live in Pittsburgh, what kind of house we'll be able to get, and of course it's all just a blurr.
The guy buying the house came over today and met with the electrician to get an estimate on upgrading the house. Then he came over later in the day to show his parents the house - since they'll be the ones living in it. His mom loved it immediately, and his dad liked it but was asking all the pertinent questions like - "Have you seen mold in the basement?"
The guy is aiming to close on the house even before August 15th - which is encouraging and overwhelming all at once. While that IS what we want, the idea that we have LESS than a month to pack up, go to PA and find a house, and get everything out is really mind-boggling! I just need to remember to take one day at a time!
We picked our first peaches on Friday, the Early Red Havens. They are juicy and delicious, even better than previous years. We picked 30 boxes on Friday, 70 on Saturday, and then Ellen and Bob picked another 75 today -- and there will be more in a few more days. The peach madness has begun! But we'll have a bit of a break before the next varieties are ready (although the ERH's were a week or so early!)
So that's about it. It's getting harder and harder to stay busy at work, and I've started gathering boxes to pack all my books and stuff there as well.
Tom has asked me to contribute for about 5 minutes on the sermon August 2nd. It will be our final Sunday of our series on prayer, so I'll give a short overview of my experience with prayer over the last year or so going thru all the various forms of prayer -- wrestling, asking, lamenting, and celebrating -- somehow I'm thinking that won't be too difficult!
Just this evening Kim acknowledged that he found himself after church on Sunday outside going to his car instead of visiting with people after church. He didn't want to start saying goodbye yet. But he realizes that he's going to have to make the time because he won't ever get to everyone in one shot....and we won't even talk about our kids or grandson yet.
God's drawing me to His word though. I've been memorizing scripture and I'm going to continue because He's reminding me over and over again about His love, His provision, His plan for me (us), and His presence...and that He only wants His best for us. So I'm clinging to that with all I have in me...knowing that it will be enough.
~Sally

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to hear that you have a buyer! I am already missing our Tues mornings, but I am excited that we are facebookers and bloggers so that I can still e-stalk you :)
    You are going to do great - how could you do any less when you are in His hands?
    Keep all of your e-fans posted!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, this is a really good blog. I have discovered, through my own blogging, that some will love it and others won't. You are writing to and for those who love you and it. You GO!! My only suggestion is that you don't try to update every day. People will expect that and it will be tough to not do one. It can become a burden.

    ReplyDelete